Monday, October 19, 2009

Dry Skin - 10 Best Quick Fixes


Seems like it's getting colder earlier this year and along with that comes dry itchy skin. Here are 10 Quick Fixes to get rid of the "Fall/Winter" itch:

1.)Keep Water Lukewarm, Not Hot - Hot water robs skin of moisture causing dry skin, so it's best to shower in lukewarm water.

2.) Moisturize After Showers or Handwashing - Moisturizer is the key to soft supple skin. I light my Scandle lotion Candle and hop in the shower, when I get out I have just enough oil to moisturize my skin!

3.) Exfoliate on a Weekly or Semi-weekly Basis - Moisturizer is much more effective on properly exfoliated skin.

4.) Invest in a Humidifier - If you live in a low-humidity climate or you are around furnaces in the winter, invest in a humidifier.

5.) Skip the Drying Soaps - Soaps can be drying. Stick with a creamy moisturizing cleanser that contains glycerin or petrolatum.

6.) Baby Your Hands & Feet - Consider lathering up your feet in thick moisturizer and sleeping in cotton socks at night (Try our Scandle Helping Hand or Sole Survivor Treatment kits)

7.) Stay Hydrated But Don't Go Overboard Many people believe if they drink more water, they'll hydrate skin. This is a myth and you simply cannot moisturize skin from the inside out.

8.) Don't Forget Your Lips - Licking your lips will not moisturize them and instead will help dry them out.

9.) Protect Your Face, Too - Consider avoiding rinsing your face with tap water, which can contain harsh minerals that are especially drying to the skin

10.) Consider Fish Oil Pills New studies show omega-3 fish oil pills may soothe super dry skin.

Let us know of any dry skin solutions you have?

2 comments:

  1. Great post. And very timely given the season we are heading into. It's funny, I don't always worry about moisturizing often here in Florida because well, there's so much humidity so sometimes I'm a bit slack in doing what I should. But the weather just got cooler and a lot drier and already my skin is showing me that attention is needed. So this is great info and a reminder of things I new I should be doing. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I know. Things tend to be pretty humid in Texas and then, all of a sudden, it's freezing cold. You never know what you're gonna get hear weather-wise. It can really wreak havock on your skin, which is why I'm obssessed with natural skin-care!:D

    ReplyDelete