Not only is the boreh an amazing, moisturizing skin treatment, it is relatively inexpensive. Although, you might have to go to a specialty grocery store to find some of the ingredients, it is well worth the trip.
For your own Indonesian beauty ritual, try out the following boreh:
What you need:
- Soft music (try some traditional Indonesian to set the mood)
- Flower Petals
- Borah spice past (recipe bellow)
- Ginger or coconut massage oil
- Fresh grated ginger root, steeped in hot water
- 4 tsp. sandalwood powder
- 2 tsp. whole cloves
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. coriander
- 1-2 tsp. rice powder
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- 1 tsp. ginger spice oil
- 1 tsp. galangal water (place shredded galangal root and water and let soak over night, then strain the water)
- Grind together the first 7 using a motor and pestle. Add the ginger spice and water to make a thick paste. Add more rice powder if the paste is to hot on your skin.
- Draw a warm bath with the flower petals.
- Apply the boreh paste with your hands, using a thin layer across your body.
- Wrap up in a towel and relax for 20 minutes.
- Slip into the warm bath and stay as long you like and sip on your ginger root tea. (make sure the water stays warm)
- After the bath, massage oil into your body starting at the feet and moving up.