Tuesday, December 30, 2008
Monday, December 29, 2008
WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN?
Green products can be broken down into two basic categories
1.) Products that have been manufactured and packaged using the cleanest and greenest energy, manufacturing practices, and packaging possible. Look for:
- Companies using sustainable energy sources such as wind power.
- Packaging made using recycled materials and/or printed with soy ink. Choose containers that can be recycled or re-used and re-filled like The Scandle Body Candle.
Products like The Scandle Massage Candle that have been developed and manufactured using ingredients that will not be harmful in any way to the consumer or the environment.
- Biodegradable ingredients
- Organic and natural ingredients
- Your skin is your body's largest organ, so it stands to reason that what you rub, lather and smooth into your skin should be made using ingredients that don't have any damaging side effects. Absorbing small amounts of toxins into your skin over a long period of time can have a cumulative, damaging effect.
Make sure that you read the ingredient list! While many products have a long list of "organic" and "natural" ingredients - they might still be using potentially harmful ingredients that could irritate your skin. Some products will be free from one or two bad ingredients, but include other potentially harmful ones. It is important to pay attention to what is in the product, as well as what isn't. Keep in mind that some potentially harmful ingredients do have a "natural origin" too.
WHAT TO AVOID
These are some of the potentially toxic agents commonly found in beauty products that you should avoid.
- Parabens: A group of chemical preservatives that is possibly carcinogenic. Linked to breast cancer, reproductive toxicity, and endocrine disruption.
- Sulfates (harmful): Sulfur-based compounds that are found to be irritating and drying to skin and hair.
- DEA: A type of Ethanoloamine which has been connected to Immunotoxicity and believed to cause harm to the brain and nervous system.
- Ethoxylates: Chemical compounds which are irritating to the skin and thought to be carcinogenic.
- Silicone: A synthetic additive which can be harmful and irritating.
- Phthalates: These compounds are commonly found in nail polish and fragrances. They are thought to be harmful to reproductive system, have been linked to developmental disorders in children, Immunotoxicity and Endocrine disruption.
- Petrolatum: Developed from Petroleum, it can be irritating to the skin, clog pores, and may be contaminated with toxic impurities.
Wednesday, December 17, 2008
Chic-Critique - Scandles - Moisturizer on Fire
Sterling Mineral Make Up - Great Last Minute Gift Ideas
Tuesday, November 25, 2008
Friday, November 21, 2008
Monday, November 17, 2008
Scandle Spa Candles were also featured on Party Blue Print's Hot Holiday Gifts
And Scandle Spa Candles were also featured on Lake Champlain Chocolates Blog on Holiday Gift Ideas (yes, we make a body candle scented with Chocolate Strawberry Truffle...yum!)
Wednesday, November 12, 2008
Wednesday, November 5, 2008
Check out The Scandle Body Candle in About.com's Top 10 Holiday Gifts Under $50 http://skincare.about.com/od/facialcleansers/ss/HolidayUnder50_10.htm
Also, check The Scandle Massage Candle out in A Parent in Silver Springs Reviews
Thursday, October 23, 2008
In addition, The Scandle Massage Candle was also included on LA Splash's Beauty & Health Holiday gift guide:
Tuesday, October 21, 2008
Friday, October 17, 2008
- Focus on results - Many spas todays are so focused on relaxing spa-goers that thre is little attention paid to what they are looking to achieve during their spa experience.
- Cultivate Selling Skills - Your spa customers have tons of products, which is why you need to know what is better or different about your products. (i.e The Scandle is not just another candle, but a candle that you can use for massage, manicures/pedicures, or as a daily moisturizer)
- Attractive Displays - Make your displays tell a story.
- Pay Attention to Product Selection - Start with at least 3 full brands
- Offer a Reason to Buy Today - BOGO's work well!
- Get ready to sell! - Allocate the necessary time for boosting spa sales.
- Out of Sight is Out of Mind - Don't put shelves too of your shopper's peripheral vision.
- Create A Bundle of Joy - Design spa packages by adding products to the offering. For instance, many spas will offer a Body Candle Massage Treatment and give the un-used portion of The Scandle to their customer to take home.
- Sell from start to finish - Selling starts the moment the guest walks through the front door.
- Capitalize on impulse Purchases - Place a small collection of inexpensive or fun items at the cash and wrap station like The Scandle Travel tins.
Have some ideas on taking your spa or beauty sales to the next level? Share them with us today!
Wednesday, October 15, 2008
This is precisely where selling your own spa brand makes especially good sense. As far as the consumer is concerned the only place to get your brand is from you, whether it be at the retail counter, by mail order, or through your own online store. Department and grocery chains are dedicating increasingly larger amount of shelf space to house brands in an effort to reduce costs and limit competition. Many even feature “select” or upscale choices within their own lines as a means of eliminating holdover ideas in some customers that house brands are merely generic or of a lower quality than better-known products. The decline of cereal giants like Kellogg is an example of the success of this strategy for retailers.
So are private label products right for your spa business? Only you can answer this question accurately. But if retail profits, customer protection, and building some real brand-equity into your company investment has any meaning for you there are fewer options available that can help you better than this can.
Scandle offers their award-winning body massage candles with private labeling. Contact us for information.
Monday, October 13, 2008
Sunday, October 12, 2008
Dallas Morning News - Presents Your Lover Will Love http://www.quickdfw.com/sharedcontent/dws/quick/columnists/jblock/stories/DN-life--sexcolumn_1211ick.ART.State.Edition1.4a7d2d4.html
MamaDivas.com - Holiday Gift Guide
Focus Organic.com - Ultimate Green Christmas Holiday Gift Guide
Edge - Holiday Gift Guide
Pogan el Cafe - Holiday Gift Guide
Gay List Daily - "Igniting a Little Scandle."
Monday, October 6, 2008
1.) In light of the recent recall of toys and other consumables coming from China containing led, etc. It's important to that products coming from China do not have any regulations. Although they may claim the product is all natural, there is no way to be sure!
2.) There are no regulations on bath and body products coming from China. Factories can operate in unsanitary conditions, which can be a huge liability issue when it comes to body massage candles. This company is claiming that their massage candle base (which is a straight soy wax, not like The Scandle that contains soy butter, shea butter, jojoba, & Vitamin E) is made in the United States, but again how can you be sure?
3.) China is one of the top contributors to environmental waste.
So if you see a Body Candle that looks like this, be LEARY!
I would love to hear your thoughts on this topic and the importance of buying USA made beauty & spa products.
Thursday, October 2, 2008
Tuesday, September 30, 2008
Watch the clip here:http://www.sonoranliving.com/content/go/spas/story.aspx?content_id=5d6440a4-86ba-4bd3-b278-0209c97d4e20
In addition, you can view a posting by the hostess here at Arizona Spa Girls:
Tuesday, September 23, 2008
It's important that we all realize the impact such legislation will not only have on natural product companies like, Scandle Body Candle LLC, but on our rights as consumers.
Show your support and contact your local congress today!
Tuesday, September 16, 2008
Jackie has made a link to her blog http://tinyurl.com/679l42
Friday, September 12, 2008
Now that we are all grown up, it might seem odd to approach someone and ask them to be your friend or mentor. But in reality the Internet has created a social network that makes it even easier to make friends. As spa or business owners and people in general, it has created a place where we can gather and talk about our concerns, our struggles, our successes and share information. With Twitter, for example, you get to know like-minded people simply by "following" them. (It all seemed odd to me in the beginning too.)
Twitter provides an opportunity to follow a wide variety of potential mentors whom you might never have the opportunity to meet otherwise. So join Scandle Body Candle and many others who are sharing life and business experiences.
Let's pretend we are on the playground and I have come and asked you if you will be my Twitter friend. If your answer is "yes" then come follow me and my other fellow Tweeters. With Twitter, there is no excuse to feel alone in business or life. You simply can't say that you don't know what other people are doing to succeed once you join the conversation.
Twitter gives you the opportunity to ask your business and product questions in one forum and get answers.
Wednesday, September 10, 2008
Based on information from The Green Spa Network, a green spa constitutes the following characteristics:
- Strives to conserve energy and water resources.
- Is committed to using materials that can be recycled, follows recycling practices, and is always looking for ways to minimize waste.
- Utilizes natural and organic skin care products (like the Scandle Body Candle for instance)
- Believes that it has a responsibility to guests and to the planet to reduce exposure to toxic substances and to minimize hazardous waste generation.
- Is open to learning and adopting new environmentally friendly strategies and techniques.
- Shares its concern for the Earth's well-being with guests.
Remember that your overall health and wellness extend beyond your physical body to the environment at large.
Monday, September 8, 2008
According to the UAE, they have immediate critical needs in response to Hurricane Season: any ready to use products including: gallons of bug spray, empty sprayers, inhalers of all types (uplifting, allergies, sinus, stress, sleep, etc.), aromatherapy sprays or roll-ons, balms, lotions, shampoos and monetary gifts.
According to UAE, no amount of monetary support is too little or too much and every product will be put to good use.
PLEASE SEND ALL MONETARY DONATIONS TO:United Aromatherapy Effort c/o Sylla Hanger, Founder16018 Saddlestring DrTampa FL 33612(813) 265-2222sylla @ tampabay dot rr dot comPLEASE SHIP AROMATHERAPY PRODUCT DONATIONS TO:NOTE: For immediate details of what has been received and what is needed, please call Geraldine. (318) 518-1187geraldine dot zelinsky @ gmail dot com
Geraldine Zelinsky, UAE Assistant Director 6051 Roma Dr; #202 Shreveport LA 71105
Please pass this message on to anyone you think can be of assistance.
Friday, September 5, 2008
Recently, we signed The Natural Ingredient Resource Center "Truth in Labeling" Pledge for our Scandle Essentials Line voluntarily pledging to follow the NIRC Criteria for labeling natural ingredients and products. NIRC guidelines are that in order for products to be labeled as "Natural," 95% of the ingredients must fit the NIRC criteria for natural ingredients. The remaining 5% may come from ingredients that do not meet the NIRC Criteria for natural, and which DO NOT artificial colors or ingredients from petrochemicals.
Tuesday, September 2, 2008
We have all heard the adage, "it’s what’s inside that counts." This statement is absolutely true. In a society that promotes youth, health, and surface beauty, it is easy to forget to recognize the value of the beauty within.
Possessing self-confidence is a wonderful gift. You can engage in conversation without feeling inadequate. You can be active within your community, your church, and your work environment with renewed fervor. When faced with situations that can be intimidating, you can step up to the challenge. Reservoirs of self-doubt can be emptied and replaced with confidence and excitement about what you are capable of accomplishing.
When you build a strong foundation for inner beauty, your attitude is always positive, and attitude can be everything! Those around you will see your inner beauty by virtue of how you interact with them. The reality is that most of us prefer spending time with individuals that are upbeat, caring, and knowledgeable.
Developing your inner beauty does not occur overnight. Adding layers to your inner beauty can be systematic or random, depending on your lifestyle at the moment. No matter your place in life, whether you are starting a career, just became a mother, or a woman in her mature years, you can begin to develop your inner beauty.
Friday, August 29, 2008
Click here to view the article.
Have a happy and relaxing Labor Day holiday!
Wednesday, August 27, 2008
Friday, August 22, 2008
With our single-minded pursuit of low prices, we have attained unprecedented levels of material possessions, but what have we given up? The answers are all around us if we would but look. The more I read and listen, the more reasons I find to pay attention to where things are made.
At Scandle LLC, we are making big strides to ensure that every component of our Massage Candles (even the packaging) is made right here in the good ole' US of A! Although doing so may cost us more to produce the product, for us, it's a commitment to make the planet a little "greener." How is this helping our planet?
Buying products from U.S. companies, and moreso US companies that use US components, often means reduced transportation impacts (from shipping of inputs and finished products), and cleaner, more energy-efficient production relative to imported products from less developed nations. In addition buying US supports our economy.
So the next time your shopping around for your beauty buys, take a good look at the label and packaging and ask yourself, "Is this, I mean ALL of this made in the USA?"
Wednesday, August 20, 2008
Friday, August 15, 2008
At Scandle LLC, we believe in truthfully labeling our products and, as such, have made a clear distinction between our body massage candles that are fragranced with essential oils (Scandle Essentials) and candles that are fragranced with fragrance oils (Scandle Originals). As consumers, you should know that not all massage candle companies will do so and prey on the fact that most consumers don't know what a true essential oil smells like. So, here is some facts to be aware of:
Essential oils are different from fragrance oils. The quality of the essential oil is what makes the difference between being therapeutic and just smelling nice.
- Essential oils are extracted from the seeds, roots, bark and berry of plants and are carefully refined to preserve the very thing that makes them "essential".
- The effect of the oil also depends on the species of plant used and how it was processed. Different varieties of the same oil can have different qualities and be used for different things. One essentially needs to be a chemist to really understand them all!
- Essential oils are usually more expensive. It takes about 30 petals of a rose to make a single drop of rose oil.
- Most candles are often scented with fragrance oils. There really isn't any cranberry essential oil.
- Fragrance Oils have usually been mixed with other synthetic oils or substances.
- Fragrance oils are usually cheaper.
Friday, August 8, 2008
- Massaging the feet each night with oil is relaxing and keeps them soft and supple. Warm oil, like Scandle Body Candle Oil, can be used . The natural oils in The Scandle really gives immediate remedy for the routine pain on your feet.
- Avoid wearing tight shoes or ones that don't fit right. If the shoes are to tight, pinch or do not fit properly - corns appear due to the pressure put on the bony areas of the foot and also interfere with the circulation of blood ultimately leading to corns. The quick remedy tip for this is to apply papaya juice or milky juice from green figs on the affected area.
- Limit walking barefoot on rough surfaces or excessive exposure of bare feet. The sun, wind & water causes cracks on the heels and soles, which cause dryness and roughness of the feet. The best natural treatment for this is… take about three spoons of honey and mix one teaspoonful sesame oil in it. Warm it a little and apply on the affected areas.
- Herbal Foot Mask wash & massage your cracked feet with Peppermint essential oil, found in The Scandle Uplifting Blend, which is best for it's cooling and tingling effect.
Use warm water and soak your feet for 10 - 15 minutes to soften the skin and allow the herbs and oils to penetrate and wash with a good natural soap to wash your feet.
Monday, August 4, 2008
On Tuesday, the Campaign For Safe Cosmetics, of which the Environmental Working Group is a part, issued a petiton supporting the FDA Globalization Act and asking for even stronger legislation. But the law will do nothing but put small businesses out of business.
Make no mistake about it, if passed, this will put the majority of small cosmetics business, out of business with the stroke of a pen. Any company unable to move their products over to private label with us or able to shoulder the costs of the new red tape will be shut down by this legislation if it becomes law.
Many companies, Scandle LLC included, initially signed the Compact for Safe Cosmetics, which was created by the Campaign for Safe Cosmetics because we believed that the main purpose of the Compact was to educate consumers. Unfortunately, that does not appear to be what they have in mind.
As a result, Scandle LLC issued the following letter of demand to the Compact for Safe Cosemtics:
Subject: Please Remove Us from Your Compact
We recently learned that you issued a petiton supporting the FDA Globalization Act of 2008 asking for even stronger legislation. As a small and growing company, we strongly believe that this legislation will do nothing but put small businesses out of business.
Scandle LLC Supports Safe Cosmetics. It is our life's work. We support educating consumers and spas about cosmetics ingredients, and while doing that may be part of the goal of the Campaign For Safe Cosmetics, it appears that is not all you intend to do. Otherwise, you would not support a law that will do more to hurt consumers than it will to help them.
I appreciate your cooperation in this matter.
Of course, we support safe cosmetics, research, environmental issues and breast cancer organizations such as those that fund the Campaign For Safe Cosmetics. But it appears we were mislead, like so many others, by the Campaign For Safe Cosmetics into believing that they had consumers' best interests at heart.
We are not afraid of the regulations this legislation could bring to our business because we feel we can survive them. But we are in the ring fighting for you, our customers.
Won't You Join Us!!?
Join us by signing the Petition in opposition of this law. You can see a video presentation, the Petition opposing the law here. Once you read the Petition, scroll to the bottom of the page and leave your comment with your name, city, state and zip code. (Don't forget that part!)
Friday, July 25, 2008
You might want to start out by scheduling an energy audit by a certified expert who will go through your spa and point out areas that could be easily converted into greener methods.
You can also do a few things on your own, such as replacing light bulbs with energy efficient ones, installing low-flow faucet aerators and showerheads to reduce water usage, purchasing unbleached paper towels and toilet papers, using environmentally friendly cleaning products and laundry detergents, providing receptacles for clients and employees to place their recycling materials, and making environmentally freindly purchases of products for treatment and retail like our Scandle Body Candle, for instance, that's made with 100% natural ingredients and is safe the skin & the environment!
Monday, July 21, 2008
When I had a moment to walk the floor, I was apalled at the number of hair care & cosmetic companies that were still not worrying about the impact their packaging will have on the environment. To a lot of these companies, it was all about who could have the flashiest packaging. Although it may be true that flashy packaging is more eye-appealing and will attract the customers, I think it's time we try to look beyond that and ask ourselves what impact a company's packaging will have on the environment and what their stand is on sustainability.
From a business stand-point, I realize that more companies today are more eco-consious than say 20 years ago, but a lot of companies are holding back due to cost issues. However, doing something as simple as making your packaging re-usable is doing something for the greater cause and that doesn't cost all that much, does it?
For instance, The Scandle Body Candle 7.5oz comes in a porcelain canister that can be reused. After the massage candle is gone, the canister makes a great syrup dispenser, creamer, or vase.
I think that many manufacuturers are torn between doing what is right for the planet and doing what will attract the most customers - which is usually flashy packaging. I think that it is our duty as consumers to help companies realize that it's the planet and the quailty of the product we care about, not the glitz and glam and purchase products from companies that promote sustainability.
Thursday, July 10, 2008
Composed primarily of a hard protein called keratin, nails are more than ornamental. They protect sensitive, nerve-dense fingertips and toes, shielding them from trauma and injury. And their appearance can tell a lot about your overall health. Dry nails with ridges may signal a lack of B vitamins, brittle nails often indicate a vitamin A deficiency and vertical ridges in nails may point to an iron deficiency. If nails split and crack, it may mean the stomach is lacking in hydrochloric acid. Hangnails may indicate a lack of protein, vitamin C or folic acid.
For hands-down great nails, start by eating a balanced, healthy diet with adequate protein and lots of water--at least eight 8-ounce glasses a day--to prevent dry, cracked nails. Then focus on the following nail nutrients:
* Sulfur promotes nail flexibility and makes nails less vulnerable to breakage. Where to find it: cabbage, Brussels sprouts, garlic, onions, arugula, hot peppers, egg yolks, turnips, fish and dairy products.
* Biotin has been shown to increase nail hardness and thickness. Where to find it: brewer's yeast, soybeans, brown rice, peanuts, eggs, fish and oats.
* Silicon promotes nail strength and firmness. Where to find it: onions, strawberries, whole wheat, oats, avocados, comfrey, alfalfa, horsetail, rice and nettles.
* Folic acid helps maintain nail flexibility and strength. Where to find it: whole grains, broccoli, spinach, kale, legumes, berries and citrus fruits.
* Essential fatty acids make nails glossier and more flexible. Where to find them: salmon, flaxseed oil, evening primrose oil and black currant oil.
In summer, nails are especially sensitive to infections. Fungi thrive on protein and love warm, damp areas, so the skin under your nails is an ideal breeding ground. To prevent infections, keep nails dry and wear flip-flops around pools and in public bathing areas. If you do develop a fungal infection, drinking a few drops of grapefruit seed extract added to a glass of water can help. Tea tree oil also has anti-fungal properties and, applied directly to the nails, can kill fungi and prevent its spread to other nails (try the Scandle Healing Blend candle infused with tea tree oils).
Tuesday, July 8, 2008
Ah, if only that were true! "This remains one of the holy grails of cosmetic dermatology," says Timothy Flynn, a clinical professor of dermatology at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill School of Medicine. The truth is, nothing can be done to permanently eliminate it — not even liposuction. Cellulite consists of fat deposits that get trapped between the fibrous bands that connect the skin's tissues. The bands squeeze the fat under the skin, resulting in a lumpy texture. Luck of the gene pool mostly determines who will and won't get cellulite. It doesn't matter whether you're fat or thin, rich or poor, famous or just plain folks. You can, however, temporarily reduce its orange peel-like appearance. Firming creams often contain caffeine to tighten and smooth the skin. But a moisturizer, like our Scandle Lotion Candle, will also work to hydrate and swell the skin, making cellulite a little less obvious. Sunless tanners also do a great job to masque it!
Thursday, July 3, 2008
With the creation of new medicines, treatments, tonics, rubs, sprays, soaks and other aids, many people have lost sight of the fact that before all of the fancier products came along, the old-fashioned products were what did the trick for most people. The newer products might come in fancier packages, have added aromas or come with sparkles and colors, but stripping all of that away, you end up with the underlying ingredient which is the one that works. Some of these main ingredients have been around for many years and in their plain form are all but forgotten by most people, but still work very well. Among these products are epsom salts. Did you know, for instance, that soaking a splinter in Epsom salts can release the splinter and help the area to heal? Many people know that Epsom salts work to relax tight muscles, and are found in many bath salt products, but Epsom salts actually have dozens of healthful benefits. Epsom salts - magnesium sulfate - are a natural way to treat skin problems, relax the nervous system, and draw toxins from the body.
You can also rub Epsom salts all over the body, while wet, then rinse and towel off. Rubbing Epsom salts directly on the body exfoliates skin and leaves it smooth and silky. They make a great gift to give someone when you put them in a nice glass jar with lid and tie on a pretty ribbon. You can add scent to them by sprinkling them with essential oil. Or mix Epsom salts with baby oil and keep by the sink if you wash your hands a lot. The combination can be used on the face, too, to treat dry skin problems. Cleanse your face with Epsom salts mixed with half a teaspoon of salts and your regular cleansing cream.
The salts do wonders for the hair, absorbing oil from problem hair by adding 8 tablespoons of Epsom salts to a half a cup of shampoo that’s formulated for oily hair. Put a tablespoon of the shampoo mixture on dry hair and work it in and around the scalp area, rinsing it out with cold water. To rinse it well, and further treat oily hair, pour a cup of apple cider vinegar over the hair, leave on for 5 minutes, and then rinse with cool water. To add fullness to thin hair, combine equal parts of Epsom salts and hair conditioner. Warm the mixture in a pan then work it into hair. Leave on for 20 minutes and rinse with warm water.
For occasional constipation or irregularity, adults can mix 2 to 4 teaspoons into water until dissolved and drink. Kids 6 to 12 take half of that. This can be used twice a day by taking the first treatment, waiting 4 hours and taking the second dosage if necessary.
Bruises, sore or strained muscles and sprained ankles receive relief when soaking in Epsom salts. Epsom salts are safe to use but when applying directly to the skin or hair, rinse well. The next time you’re shopping for bath, health or beauty products, pass by the fancy, expensive stuff and try Epsom salts for a blast from the past.
Monday, June 30, 2008
The essential oil of Sweet basil is extracted by steam distillation from all the above ground parts of the plant, but is concentrated primarily in the leaves. The oil is a light green colour and has a refreshing odour like a mixture of thyme, peppermint and liquorice.
Basil oil may be used to reduce nervousness, nervous debility, anxiety and headache and is one of the main essential oils in our new Dextoxifying Blend Massage Candle.
Basil oil is thought of a ‘de-toxifier’ as it stimulates sluggish and congested circulation of the skin and can be used for acne and minor skin infections. It is also reputed to have antiseptic value and to neutralise the toxins of bites and stings.
All this and it tastes great in pasta too! Who would have thought?
Thursday, June 26, 2008
Detox massage is a form of bodywork designed to naturally detoxify and rid the body of unhealthy toxins. A detox massage consists of intermittent pressure techniques that softly compress and stretch muscle tissues and helps to relieve health conditions like fibromyalgia, headaches and other organ or system functions affected by toxins.Detox massage is similar to Swedish massage and lymphatic drainage massage, and exhibits beneficial attributes toward achieving good health and overall well being. Detox massage can help in improving circulation, oxygen levels, colon drainage, swelling, and organ function stimulation. Enhancing lymph flow, detox massage is beneficial to patients suffering from chronic health conditions and disorders, including stress, chronic fatigue, neurological problems, immune system issues, and arthritis, among others.
Boosting the body's natural immune system, additional therapies that are sometimes facilitated during a detox massage session include aromatherapy, hydrotherapy, herbal body wraps, colon hydrotherapy, and far-infrared light therapy. Often provided in a day spa, salon or massage clinic, detox massage is typically administered by a certified massage therapist; with sessions lasting about an hour.
I, for one, have been detoxing now for the last several months and I can't begin to tell you how much it has improved the appearance of my skin and helped lower my weight (which is always a bonus)!
Tuesday, June 24, 2008
If passed, this law would drive consumers back to the days when they could only choose between a few huge, faceless, nameless big box stores and brands for their cosmetics and personal care products. And fewer consumer choices always leads to higher prices.
Tell Congress you want none of it by reading this Petition and then leaving your comment as your signature to the Petition opposing the draft law.
Monday, June 23, 2008
Lavender oil is extracted mostly from the flowers of the plant, primarily through steam distillation. Lavender essential oil has been traditionally used in making perfumes due to its aroma. The oil is very useful in aromatherapy and many aromatic preparations, like The Scandle Essential Calming Blend, are made using lavender oil. The various health benefits of lavender essential oil include:
- Nervous System: Lavender essential oil has a calming scent which makes it an excellent tonic for the nerves and helps in treating migraines, headaches, anxiety, depression, nervous tension and emotional stress. Its refreshing aroma removes nervous exhaustion and restlessness and increases mental activity.
- Sleep: Lavender essential oil induces sleep and hence it is often recommended for insomnia.
- Pain Relief: Lavender essential oil is also an excellent remedy for various types of pains including those caused by sore muscles, tense muscles, muscular aches, rheumatism, sprains, backache and lumbago. Massage with lavender oil provides relief from pain in the joints.
- Urine Flow: Lavender essential oil is good for urinary disorders as it stimulates urine production. It helps in restoring hormonal balance and reduces cystitis or inflammation of the urinary bladder. It also reduces any associated cramps.
- Respiratory Disorders: Lavender oil is extensively used for various respiratory problems including throat infections, flu, cough, cold, asthma, sinus congestion, bronchitis, whooping cough, laryngitis, and tonsillitis. The oil is either used in the form of vapor or applied on the skin of neck, chest and back. It is also added in many vaporizers and inhalers used for cold and coughs.
- Skin Care: The health benefits of lavender oil for the skin can be attributed to its antiseptic and antifungal properties. It is used to treat various skin disorders such as acne, wrinkles, psoriasis, and other inflammations. It heals wounds, cuts, burns, and sunburns rapidly as it aids in the formation of scar tissues. Lavender oil is added to chamomile to treat eczema.
- Hair Care: Lavender essential oil is useful for the hair as it can be very effective on lice and lice eggs or nits.
- Blood Circulation: Lavender essential oil is also good for improving blood circulation. It lowers blood pressure and is used for hypertension.
- Digestion: Lavender oil is useful for digestion as it increases the mobility of the intestine. The oil also stimulates the production of gastric juices and bile and thus aids in treating indigestion, stomach pain, colic, flatulence, vomiting and diarrhea.
- Immunity: Regular use of lavender essential oil provides resistance to diseases.
Other health benefits of lavender essential oil include its ability to treat leucorrhea. It is also effective against insect bites. The oil is also used to repel mosquitoes and moths. You will find many mosquito repellents containing lavender oil as one of the ingredients.
As with many other essential oils, pregnant and breastfeeding women should avoid using lavender essential oil. It is also recommended that diabetics stay away from lavender oil. It may also cause allergic reactions to people having sensitive skin. Some people may also witness nausea, vomiting and headaches due to usage of lavender oil.
Thursday, June 19, 2008
- Get as much rest as you can. An average person needs at least 8 hours of full rest. If you snore you lose about 2 hours per night. Make sure your head is postured the correct way. There's a likely chance you could be losing air when you snore.
- Eat less meat and more vegetables. Don't eat a lot of greasy or oily food, it can make your skin break out. Its ok to splurge occasionally but keep portion control in mind.
- Add more fiber, omega3 acids and omega6 acids into your diet to improve digestion.Eat lots of fish like salmon and mackerel. If fish is not your thing ,feast on almonds as a mid-afternoon snack.Go easy on olive oil!It is an absolute boon for hair and skin. These are the best sources of omega fatty acids as well as EFAs which keep your skin glowing and blemish free. Flax seed is also rich in these elements. You will begin to see the difference in just a few days.
- Don't eat out. Cook your own food, then you really know what's in it. Fresh food really counts in a diet. All that microwave, frozen, junk food and restaurant food could be harming your body.
- Drink lots of water to flush you out clean. 8oz. x 8 (or 64 ounces) per day is good for your health.
- Get good exercise, cardio, and fat burning. but make sure you have the protein to go with it.
- Keep yourself clean and shower daily.
- Wash your face with water - you really don't need all those face washes, and they may dry you out. The key thing to remember is to not use it as much as they suggest. You will see an improvement in your skin.
- Exfoliate your face once a week with a product such as Scandle's Dead Sea Salt Body Scrub.
- Make sure your towel is clean.
- Make sure your clothes are clean.
- Keep yourself fresh.
- Moisturize your skin daily with a natural product such as The Scandle Body Lotion Candle.
- Brush your teeth twice a day, to keep you teeth nice and white! If you need to, use whitening strips.
- Every morning ,evening and before going to bed at night ,do this exercise:
- Stand straight. Now bend as much as you can towards the front. Join your hands at the back to perfect this stance. Doctors have shown that this very simple exercise greatly improves circulation to the face and scalp thereby leaving you absolutely refreshed and glowing!
- Finally, have a positive attitude and self confidence!
Friday, June 13, 2008
The Scandle Massage Candle was created on the premise that essential oils are absorbed into the body with two main ways, inhalation and absorption by skin. When an essential oil is inhaled, say by lighting a Scandle Body Candle, it activates the nerve cells in the nasal cavity which send impulses that stimulate the brain and produce positive feelings and emotions, while at the same time substances of the essential oils are drawn into the lungs and then quickly absorbed into the bloodstream providing physical therapeutic benefits. Moreover, when an essential oil is applied to skin (never undiluted), say by using the Scandle Body Candle Oil on the skin for massage, it penetrates the skin and enters the bloodstream this way.
Therefore, aromatherapy can be helpful in combating various conditions and promoting emotional wellbeing. The most noteworthy psychological benefits of Aromatherapy are spirit stimulation, mental clarity, stress relief and mood improvement. On the other hand, essential oils can help circulation system, support immune system, regulate human hormones and aid skin regeneration - just to name few of the physical benefits.
Wednesday, June 11, 2008
- Dead Sea salt has a beneficial effect on the skin and body:
- Dead Sea salt products are especially beneficial for those seeking relief from skin and medical disorders such as skin, rheumatic, joint and inflammatory diseases.
- Dead Sea salt products stimulate circulation.
- Dead Sea salt products enhance cell regeneration.
- Dead Sea salt products improve skin tone.
- Dead Sea salt products help keep the skin healthy.
- Dead Sea salt products refresh as well as cure muscular pains and stress.
The largest organ in the body, the skin seems to have the most noticeable effect from the Dead Sea salt. The skin absorbs the Dead Sea salt, vitamins and other substances into the body. It is universally accepted the Dead Sea salts and vitamins can have a wonderful effect on circulation and on the metabolism.
To experience these theraputic benefits and more, give our Scandle Dead Sea Salt Soak/Scrub a try today!
Monday, June 9, 2008
One of the key ingredients of our award winning Massage Candles is soy. The benefits of soy in natural skincare are numerous! Here are just a few:
- Soy moisturizes and protects the cells without clogging them. The oil washes away easily, again, unlike other oils.
- Soy based skin care products, like the Scandle Body Candle, even out skin tone and can correct pigmentation brought about by hormonal changes and damaging sun exposure.
- Soy softens and smoothes skin texture, and it moisturizes too. The proteins, amino acids, and lipids found in this wonderful bean allow for rapid hydration and cell regeneration.
- Soy is naturally rich in Vitamin E, essential fatty acids, and lecithin which benefit the skin when applied topically. Topical application of Vitamin E promotes healing and regeneration through its antioxidant properties. Essential fatty acids help moisturize the collagen below the skin surface, and lecithin helps maintain the elasticity of the skin, helping to smooth out fine lines and prevent premature aging.
So, not only does the Scandle Candle smell good & feel good...it's good for you!
Wednesday, June 4, 2008
Here are some guidelines that we offer our customers when they are looking at The Scandle Body Massage Candle to determine if it is truely as natural as we guarantee it to be:
• Product must be made up of at least 95% truly natural ingredients or ingredients that are derived from natural sources.• No ingredients with any potential suspected human health risks.
• No processes that significantly or adversely alter the purity/effect of the natural ingredients.
• Ingredients that come from a purposeful, renewable/plentiful source found in nature (flora, fauna, mineral).
• Processes that are minimal and don't use synthetic/harsh chemicals or otherwise dilute purity.
• Non-natural ingredients only when viable natural alternative ingredients are unavailable and only when there are absolutely no suspected potential human health risks.
Monday, June 2, 2008
Many green beauty manufacturers, like Scandle LLC, are very strongly opposing the use of genetically modified plant extracts and oils. Most often, you will find the clear sign that tells you that this particular green product contains no GMOs. You may also notice that some soy bean oils, soy extracts and such are “non-GMO”, as clearly noted in the ingredients list. However, it's important to note that a beauty product free from GMO is not necessarily organic.
Currently Commercialized GM Crops in the U.S.:(Number in parentheses represents the estimated percent that is genetically modified.) Soy (89%), Cotton (83%), Canola (75%), Corn (61%), Hawaiian papaya (more than 50%)
So what’s the bottom line? Even though a great many cosmetics and personal care products are harmful, there are products like The Scandle Body Line that are safe and healthy to use. But you’re the one who needs to know what cosmetic and personal care products you’re using are safe. The way the current regulations are structured, the government simply cannot protect you. Their hands are tied. According to John Bailey, Ph.D., director of the FDA’s Office of Cosmetics and Colors, “Consumers believe that ‘if it’s on the market, it can’t hurt me,’ and this belief is sometimes wrong.”
Knowing how to read and interpret the ingredient label on cosmetics, toiletries and personal care products is a powerful shield. Some manufacturers are fighting back. They’re designing packaging with seductive designs to make it look like their products are healthy and made from natural ingredients. Don’t be fooled by the fancy packaging and persuasive words like “natural,” “gentle” and “hypoallergenic.” When you read the label, you’ll probably find that is not the case.